Evolving Thoughts

Evolution, culture, philosophy and chocolate! John Wilkins' continuing struggle to come to terms with impermanence... "Humanus sum, nihil humanum a me alienum puto" - Terence

Friday, November 25, 2005

One eyed? Moi?

I am a little bit monomanic. For the past decade or so I have been obsessing about ontology (of biology, mostly, but with a healthy - if that is the word - dose of Aristotelian metaphysics). So when I go to the confirmation seminar (thesis proposal talk) of a really smart student, I actually forgot it was about moral philosophy, and started in on type-token distinctions. When he replied, "but that doesn't affect the moral claims" I wondered to myself, "what's that got to do with it?

Sometimes one forgets there are other topics than the one you like the most...